Register to Usher Students into the Practice of Attentive Reading Through the Transformative World of Middle Earth!
Live Sessions: June 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, 2023 at 4:00-5:30 pm EST | Lifetime Access to Recorded Sessions & Resources
Learn how to guide students into a practice of attentive reading through the world of Middle Earth.
Classical teacher, Jennifer Dow, has taught Lord of the Rings since 2012 to students in 7th – 12th grades. She has learned that The Lord of the Rings is one of the most accessible works for ushering students into the world of reading the great books well. The fundamental skills and mindset needed for profound encounters with the classics can be effectively cultivated by attentively reading The Lord of the Rings, a work that is enjoyable and transformative in its own right! This course will show you the way.
In this course, you will learn the basic concepts needed for teaching The Lord of the Rings, the background and context for Tolkien’s famous work, take a guided tour through all three books, and learn a simple process for preparing, teaching, and reflecting on the journey through Middle Earth in an academic setting.
We learn best by example. We designed this course with that in mind. Through immersive lessons, teaching notes, student handouts, and other helpful resources, you will walk away confident and equipped to guide your students into this great, fair, and perilous realm.
- Three 1.5-Hour Live Sessions
- Lifetime Access to Recordings and Downloads
- Session 1: The Role of Student and Teacher in Reading Attentively + An Intro to Tolkien, Fantasy, Fairie, and The Lord of the Rings
- Session 2: A Guided Tour through the World, Characters, Episodes, Questions, and Motifs of The Lord of the Rings
- Session 3: Teacher Prep, Routine, and Reflection + the Student’s Routine
- Teacher and Student Handouts
- Course Workbook